Customers are responsible for the following:
- Backup of their config and installation files for OpenVPN
- Updating the OpenVPN client when necessary
The files that you will need for this are the following:
- OpenVPN Installer: https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/
- Note the version you want to download is the Windows 64bit MSI installer
- The following files that are provided to you by a MKS Technician:
Note that [company] is just a placeholder. Anytime those files are mentioned, the [company] piece is not meant to be taken literally. It will contain your company name.
OpenVPN Installation Steps
1. Backup the config or config-auto folders (default location is C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config or C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config-auto). This folder should contain the files:
The config folder is used by the GUI and the config-auto is used by the service. Depending on what you were running before will determine where the actual config files are at.
2. Verify that you have a backup of the current version of the OpenVPN client you are running in case you have to revert back.
3. Uninstall the old tech pro by going to "add or remove programs"
4. Reboot the Server.
5. If you haven't already download and run the new OpenVPN client installer and do the following:
a. Select "Customize"
b. Default install location is C:\Program Files\OpenVPN
c. Only check the following options:
ii. OpenVPN GUI
iii. OpenVPN Service
6. Drop the OpenVPN config files into the config-auto folder (typically C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config-auto):
Note that if you wanted to start the OpenVPN GUI, you would drop it in the regular "config" folder instead of "config-auto".
6. Start up the "OpenVPNService" service and make sure its set to start "Automatic"